On Feb 13, 2008 9:09 PM, Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 19:22 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
>
> > How about a "compat" node for old clients and a "new" render node that
> > handles both new clients and GPGPU?  Then the backwards compat stuff
> > could just be a shim layer and everything else could use the same code
> > instead of dealing with separate render and gpgpu nodes.
>
> Recall that one of the goals is to support multiple user sessions
> running at the same time, so we really do want to have per-session
> 'devices' which relate the collection of applications running within
> that session and reflect the access permissions of the various objects
> and methods within that session.
>
> Any 'compat' node would eventually have to deal with this new
> environment, and I'm not sure it's entirely practical, nor do I think it
> entirely necessary.
>
> As for GPGPU usage, that would presumably look an awful lot like a
> separate session, although I can imagine there being further limits on
> precisely which operations a GPGPU application could perform.

I guess I just don't see a difference between X/DRI rendering and
GPGPU; it's just command submission.  It seems like the only reason
for the render/gpgpu split is for backwards compatibility.  I think we
need to differentiate between display and rendering rather than
"visual" rendering and compute applications.

Alex