On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 17:55 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> > On 5/16/08, Pekka Paalanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:05:18 +0200
> >>  Jerome Glisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>  > My current understanding is that on newer GPU each client got its
> >>  > own memory address space on the GPU. I can manage this space
> >>  > transparently based on hint from userspace, ie i can place page
> >>  > either in ram or vram and i can do migration when necessary. As
> >>  > a result i think i have no obligation that page in VRAM to be
> >>  > adjacent each to the other. Of course mapping such thing in
> >>  > userspace vma become cumberstone.
> >>

> >> This sounds like a feature that could be used to avoid applying
> >>  any relocations into commands streams, and completely get rid of
> >>  kernel validation of a command stream beforehand, allowing direct
> >>  unobstructed command submission from user space to the card.
> >>  It would just be like "applying relocations in hardware", using
> >>  page tables instead of rewriting addresses in certain spots in a
> >>  command stream.
> >>
> >>  Or have I misunderstood something?
> >>  (Oh, in a later email Glisse writes the same idea.)
> >>
> >>  This sounds interesting, since it would promote command submission
> >>  that does not go through the kernel at all, which is what Nouveau
> >>  is already interested in.
> >>
> >>  Somehow I have a recollection that TTM would force the command
> >>  stream through the kernel, but then again, I'm very new to all this.
> >>

> > Yes, that was really my point. If the memory manager we use (whatever
> > it is) does not allow this kind of behaviour, that'll force all cards
> > to use a kernel-validated command submission model, which might not be
> > too fast, and more difficult to implement on such hardware.
> >
> > I'm not in favor of having multiple memory managers, but if the chosen
> > one is both slower and more complex to support in the future, that'll
> >

> be a loss for everyone. Unless we want to have another memory manager
> > implementation in 2 years from now...
> >
> > Stephane
> >
> First, TTM does not enforce kernel command submission, but it forces you
> to tell the kernel about command completion status in order for the
> kernel to be able to move and delete buffers.
>
> I'm not sure how you could avoid that with ANY kernel based memory
> manager, but I would be interested to know how you expect to solve that
> problem.
>
> As for speed, the TTM-based i915tex driver is still substantially more
> CPU-efficient (which translates to faster for CPU-bound apps), than
> _any_ of  the intel-modified drivers.
> Among other things, the texsubimage throughput is about 5x that of the
> Intel drivers, GEM included.

We haven't touched the texsubimage path, having not found it in a
profile yet.  It'll probably be doing map/write/unmap, which (as noted
elsewhere in the thread) is pretty much the worst thing you can do.  If
you have a relevant application where texsubimage is showing up in the
profile, I'd enjoy playing with it.

--
Eric Anholt                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]