Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:16:26 +0200
> Thomas Hellström <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Now if you want to map paging-capable VRAM,
>> that's what the on-card VRAM aperture page table is for. You stated that
>> it's a bad idea to use it. Why?
>>

> If there is aperture page table than the solution you propose will work.
> I was thinking here to GPU process virtual address space each associated
> with their own page table.

But isn't this really a way to avoid / handle relocations, that should
be dealt with in the driver-specific
execbuf call? What TTM does it to put the buffer somewhere in physical
VRAM,
and optionally sets up a user-space or kernel mapping to it.

It assumes nothing about private context GPU mappings of the VRAM pages.
That's really up to the driver to deal with.

>> Could you describe what steps needs to be taken by the driver when the
>> 2D driver wants to write a single pixel to the
>> VRAM front buffer, with the pwrite approach, to ensure that the pixel
>> ends up in the right location?
>>

> For EXA i intend to favor upload/download from screen which use blit
> to ram. Anyway if going through pwrite/pread path for doing that you
> pread the proper page in which the pixel stands. Do the math. pwrite
> the page back. Of course this is inefficient toward reading one dword
> and writing it back. But there should not be any fallback on hw i am
> interested in so i see this as an opportunity to not map vram and so
> not have to worry about tlb flush, partial vram access through aperture
> (i think on some hw more than half of the vram is unaccessible through
> the aperture), cache coherency and cache policy on vram mapping.

Cache coherency and caching policy is a non-issue with user-space VRAM
mappings.
I think with the pwrite approach you will run into severe performance
problems if used for
long-lived buffers.

Think EXA, vertical lines, perhaps no tiling.

/Thomas