On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 20:33 +0200, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:

> If you want a none generic ioctl for that function go ahead, but IHMO
> it should then be some sort of flag field on the request. Fiddling
> with bits on the address feels a bit icky at best.

Yeah, it is a bit icky. The thing is that with a file object, you've got
one linear address space, so you can't really mmap the same address
space in two different ways. One alternative here is to create another
file object for the same pages and use different mmap semantics there,
but I'd prefer to avoid that as it will be fairly expensive in kernel
memory.