In the hopes of getting the kernel mode setting stuff in shape for the 2.6.29
merge window I've been trying to get things into shape.  This patch set is a
very rough start at getting things merge-ready.  There's still a lot left to
do:
  - document the new interfaces (basically finish the DRM developer guide I
    started a long time ago), should help get other drivers ported
  - fix i915 interrupt support, this patch set basically reverts most of the
    earlier mode setting changes; there are lots of fixes upstream I didn't
    want to lose
  - fix bugs, there are lots of these to go around (right now load/unload and
    lastclose seem to cause massive memory corruption)
  - test the new code with modeset=0 against old drivers

These patches sit on top of my GTT mapping patches (posted earlier) since a
KMS aware 2D driver really wants GTT mapping too.  Also I just pushed a fix to
the 2D driver that, in combination with my EXA pixmap management patches
(which in turn depend on the libdrm bits), gets it limping along with kernel
mode setting support.

My rough list of priorities is as follows:
  1) make load/unload solid (this will make subsequent development *much*
     easier)
  2) make X startup/teardown solid (this is probably a dup of (1) at this
     point)
  3) fixup the IRQ handling stuff, re-adding the ripped out hot plug stuff
  4) minimize the diff with upstream (reverting some of the cleanups I
     foolishly included in the initial mode setting work)
  5) change the panic/oops stuff to use oops_begin rather than the panic
     notifier
...and of course fix bugs as they're discovered along the way.  I should have
some patches early next week for our QA team and the broader community to bang
on, but any feedback people have for this set can be included in the next
post, so feel free to send me feedback.

Thanks,