On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 19:11 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> (please Cc)
>
> I would like to report two problems with the following system:
>
> Hardware:
>       Sony Vaio VGN-Z11
>       Chipset Mobile IntelĀ® GM45 Express Chipset found
>       (and in addition a nVidia chipset, both built into the laptop,
>       but via switch only intel one is selected)
>
> Software:
>       kernel 2.6.28-rc7 (and several kernels before)
>       Debian/sid:
>       xorg 7.3, xserver 1.4.2
>
> There are two problems with this laptop: The first is that often (or
> better always) when I start X and run it for some time (no idea what is
> necessary), and then switch to the console the text mode is not
> restored. The effect is that on the top of the screen there is probably
> one of maybe two screen lines of the characters shown (screen lines
> means 1 pixel lines) and the whole screen is flashing. The rest of the
> screen is dark/grey and flashing.
>
> Interestingly. Doing from the text console a switch to X and back fixes
> that for some time. But waiting a bit doing things in X and switching
> again to the Console makes the effect re-appear.
>
> The other problem is that sometimes, hard to reproduce but it happens
> again and again, gdm starts up with a bit strange dimensions: It
> occupies a considerably smaller portion of the screen, as shown in the
> attached screenshot.
>
> It would be great if we can track down the issues of that, or if that is
> the wrong contact point please let me know who is responsible. If you
> need any further data (dmesg, kernel config, X log file, ...) please let
> me know.
>
> Thanks a lot and all the best

For the first issue, it's often hard to tell what's going wrong as the
registers will be the same as far as we can see between success and
failure.  The difficulty of recovering text mode is one of the reasons
that text mode is going away with kernel modesetting (planned for
2.6.29).  intel_reg_dumper from the 2d driver build tree may help debug
what's different between success and failure of vt switching today.

Second issue sounds like sometimes you get DDC and sometimes you don't,
but when you don't there isn't BIOS data to fall back on so you end up
using the console mode (which has a small active area, and we don't set
scaling because we assume that that's the real 1:1 native mode).
Xorg.0.log between success and failure would be the way to tell.

--
Eric Anholt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]