On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Thomas Hellström<tho...@shipmail.org> wrote:
> Jesse Barnes wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, to me this discussion is more of a "future directions" one than
>> a blocker for this particular patchset.  AFAICT the only thing that
>> needs fixing with this patch is my lock confusion (struct_mutex vs
>> mode_config).  Or would you like something substantial changed with
>> these bits before they land?
>>

> I think as long as there are efficient ways to short-circuit this
> implementation if the command submission mechanism does a better job, I
> think it's OK. I had a quick look in the new dri2 code and it looks like the
> driver can trick dri2 into thinking there are no outstanding swaps, thus
> avoiding the event reads? What's important is that the IOCTL interface gets
> right.

Let me follow up on this tomorrow, I've used up my out-going mail
quota for today.

> What remains to be fixed are the mutex issue and possibly the poll issue.

I'll resend the patch with the mutex issue fixed.  The poll issue is
not a problem as long as we don't enable DRI1 and DRI2 at the same
time.

> I also think without looking to closely that the drm_read() function doesn't
> do return values properly (see ldd3 and man 2 read for return values for the
> various blocking modes). In particular, wait_event_interruptible() may
> return -ERESTARTSYS which should never be returned to user-space.

Returning -ERESTARTSYS from read is the expected behaviour in case you
get a signal as far as I know and is handled by glibc.  It's used all
over the kernel.

> It also looks like the new ioctl argument lengths are not 64 bit aligned?

Not sure what you mean... that the size of the ioctl struct isn't a
multiple of 64 bits?  That's not a requirement.

cheers,
Kristian