Was it necessary?

ATI and Nvidia both provide a compact archive with a kernel module, xorg
driver, and
OpenGL libraries.

Why couldn't the Intel developers?

I can load the latest Nvidia driver on several old kernel versions and
Xorg versions.

Yet it's a packaged deal with the new Intel offerings.

It's been over a year and all I have read is the performance increases
you guys have made.

I call shenanigans!

Regressions I say.   Look at the Image Quality and crisp feel of the old
driver.  Now graphics look smudged and everything appears to carry a
latency now.

Now sure you can go blame Mesa and whoever else but at least with Nvidia
I have a choice of the open source driver
or an old installation binary.

Linus needs to rip out the GEM subsystem.  Xorg needs to remove your
contributions.

Mesa should seriously consider stepping back their code base.

Honestly it'll be 2011 before we got anything usable the way it is now.

Intel needs to hire Alan Cox.  At least he had the balls to throw in the
towel.

Thanks a lot .