On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 19:18, Eric Anholt <e...@anholt.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 13:20 +0100, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
>> 2009/11/6 Kristian Høgsberg <k...@bitplanet.net>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This has come up a few time and it's something I think makes a lot of
>> > sense.  Since all driver development (afaik) now happens in linux
>> > kernel tree, it makes sense to drop the driver bits from the drm.git
>> > repo.  I've put up a repo under
>>
>> Actually, I don't think a separate libdrm makes much sense. We don't
>> want to add yet another outside component and ask ourselves questions
>> like "how do I maintain compatibility" (which, incidentally, have
>> already been raised).
>>
>> Given this, IMO libdrm live somewhere alongside the kernel.
>> Furthermore when pulling outside stuff we driver devs can do a
>> kernel+DRM+libdrm pull at the same time which is a win.
>>
>> And also users don't have to wonder where/how to pick the right
>> libdrm. You get the right one with your kernel.
>
> This is a bad idea.  libdrm with the kernel means that users and
> distributions can't trivially update libdrm.  So all of the users of
> libdrm end up being an ifdeffed nightmare of both compile-time and
> runtime detection.

Why do you need to update libdrm separately from the kernel? Is there
so much that's in libdrm that does not also require a new drm? Newer
libdrm functionality usually also requires a new drm...

> Our code used to be that way before we fixed libdrm
> to be "only use kernel code that's going upstream, and never regress
> it".  Things have improved in the last few years for upstream drivers,
> and I don't want to regress them with moving libdrm to the kernel.

Again I don't see what kind of changes you have in mind. You just say "regress".

> This is why I've also argued against having libdrm not install the ioctl
> headers.  It seems like the argument is mostly that having libdrm keep a
> copy of the kernel headers in the repo is bad because people might cp
> the file wrong.  If the cost of not keeping them in the repo is having
> the libdrm and its consumers be ifdef hell, I will keep a cp in the
> repo.

Now I don't get it. You say versioning libdrm headers is the right thing?

Stephane