* Dave Airlie <airl...@linux.ie> wrote:

> > If it now does not boot up if all its sub-options are enabled, even of some
> > of those sub-options are new, does that count as a driver regression? Sure
> > it
> > does to me ...
>
> But it doesn't to anyone else under any reasonable meaning of the word
> regression.

There are reactions in this thread that contradict your 'anyone else' point.

> The config option states
> "Choose this option if you want kernel modesetting enabled by default,
>           and you have a new enough userspace to support this. Running old
>           userspaces with this enabled will cause pain."
>
> Will cause pain sounds painful to me, I can make it seem much worse if
> you'd like.

Except you are missing that the hang (and the first crash as well) happens on
brand-new user-space just as much - not just on 'old userspaces'.

The bugs i've triggered are independent of any user-space component - it
happens with a fresh distro just as much.

As i suggested before, at least the text should be updated to include what
has been written about CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS in this thread before:

 > This is a completely new driver.  It's only part of the existing drm for
 > compatibility reasons.  It requires an entirely different graphics stack
 > above it and works very differently from the old drm stack.

Thanks,

        Ingo