2010/2/7 Stephane Marchesin <stephane.marche...@gmail.com>:
> From what I recall, all the ia64 AGP chipsets (well the zx1 and the
> 460) have to be run:
> - without side band adressing
> - without fast writes
> - at 4x speed
> otherwise they're unstable.
>
> I think by default agpgart puts them at AGP 1x with fast writes...

Without /etc/X11/xorg.conf, AGP is configured as follows:
- 2x rate
- fast writes are disabled.

Adding /etc/X11/xorg.conf in order to manually set AGP rate at 4x
didn't help. Running glxgears triggers GPU lockup slightly faster than
at 2x or 1x rate (well, GPU lockup appears in less than 1 sec. vs.
~2-3 sec. at slower rates).

I've no idea about sideband addressing. Is there a way to check
whether it's enabled or not? And is there a way to disable it?

Just for completeness, Chapter 8.2.3 (AGP Registers) of HP zx1 ioa
External Reference Specification
(http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/docs/chips/zx1-ioa-mercury_ers.pdf) says
that zx1 chipset supports:
- AGP 1x, 2x and 4x data rate