> I don't think so. There is another driver which does this -
> vesa/uvesa. For these it is not possible to change the resolution from
> fbdev, it just provides some framebuffer on top of which fb
> applications or fbcons run.

Only because that is the only way to do it. The other options was to have
x86emul in the kernel. That was not going to happen.

> I guess equivalent of xrandr would be what people would want but the
> current fbdev capabilities are far from that.
> Since KMS provides these capabilities already I would think adding a
> tool that manipulates KMS directly (kmset?) is the simplest way.

Still would have to deal with the issue of keeping the graphical console
in sync with the changes.

> There are other drivers that support multihead already (matroxfb, any
> other?) and have their own driver-specific inteface.

Each crtc is treated as a seperate fbdev device. I don't recall any
special ioctls. Maybe for mirroring which was never standardized.

> Designing an unified multihead fbdev extension interface would
> probably take quite a bit of typing and time. It would also help to
> have something working to compare to.

IMNSHO the fbdev to ctrc mapping should be the standard way to
handle the fbdev layer. Plus it is a KISS approach. Mirroring would need
to be finally dealt with.