> > > There are other drivers that support multihead already (matroxfb, any
> > > other?) and have their own driver-specific inteface.
> >
> > Each crtc is treated as a seperate fbdev device. I don't recall any
> > special ioctls. Maybe for mirroring which was never standardized.
>
> matroxfb does have a bunch of custom ioctls to change the crtc<->output
> mapping.

Yes the mapping issue were never address.

> I don't think the CRTC=fb_info makes much sense if the main use
> case is fbcon.

Actually that is what I had in mind when I reworked the fbdev api. Plus
with the linux console project I got multiple VTs working at the same
time.

> fbcon will use a single fb device and so you can't see
> the console on multiple heads anyway which makes the whole thing
> somewhat pointless. And if you're trying to do something more complex
> you will be a lot better off bypassing fbdev altogether.

Not true. You can map different displays to different vcs. Give con2fb a
try some time :-) Now there is the issue of more than one keyboard being
mapped at a time. BTW I did getting multipe VT working at the same
time working in the past. It requires some cleanup on the console layer.