> >> Yuck. See my other post about what fbdev really means in its historical
> >> context. The struct fb_info really maps better to drm_crtc than to
> >> drm_framebuffer. In fact take the case of the matrox fbdev driver. It
> >> creates two framebuffer devices even tho it used one static framebuffer.
> >> What the driver does is splits the framebuffer in two and assigned each
> >> part to a CRTC.
> >
> > The only problem with that is that it eats a lot of memory for the
> > console which limits X when it starts. On cards with limited vram ,
> > you might not have enough memory left for any meaningful acceleration
> > when X starts.
>
> It would be nice to find a way to reclaim the console memory for X,
> but I'm not sure that can be done and still provide a good way to
> provide oops support.

        Ah, the power of flags. We had the same issue with user requesting a
mode
change or fbcon asking for a different mode. We handled it with the flag
FBINFO_MISC_USEREVENT. Since you are using KMS as the backend for fbcon you will
have to deal also with the ability to change the resolution with tools like
stty.
I can easily see how to do this plus give you more memory like you want :-)
        For the oops are you talking about printing oops to the screen
while X is running ? Otherwise if you experience a oops and go back to
console mode you should be able to view it. The console text buffer is
independent of the graphics card memory system.