On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 03:27:56AM -0800, Michael Zoran wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-01-19 at 13:10 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > One thing I will say is that I have scripts to review when people
> > pull
> > parts of an ioctl into a separate patch.  So when you do that, please
> > don't make too many white space changes if you can avoid it.  Those
> > confuse my scripts.
> >

> I don't quite understand what you mean about the white space.   The
> existing code doesn't conform to the while space requirements.  So if I
> just move existing code around without modifying it checkpatch.pl will
> detect it as new code and will scream at me a gazillion "you absolutely
> must fix errors".  So it's kind of a catch-22.

Ignore checkpatch.pl in this situation.

> All these silly white space issues in the existing code could be fixed
> in 10 seconds with netbeans or eclipse at once and we would be done
> with it for good.  Essentially just run the whole driver through the
> pretty printer.  In fact, I don't know why that wasn't done with the
> initial check-in or how any of this existing code was able to be
> checked in without a gazillion checkpatch.pl errors...

checkpatch.pl can actually fix a lot of the errors it complains about.
It's probably smarter about kernel requirements than netbeans is.

The answer is that we don't care about checkpatch.pl for initial staging
commits.  Also it's partly that Greg deliberately the white space errors
in there to keep the newbies busy.  But if you're serious about this
code then feel free to fix them all at once.

Use checkpatch.pl --fix whatever to fix each type of warning across the
whole driver and send them as a series of patches.  Don't fix different
types of errors in the same patch.

regards,
dan carpenter