Eric Day: Whole-food Pizza

Sometimes we have a strong pizza craving, so we decided to create a nutritious, guilt-free version that delights our taste buds. This is a very basic version, but feel free to add your favorite veggie toppings. We often add chopped broccoli, tomatoes, and sometimes zucchini - whatever we have on hand! We usually use the nut-cheese topping below to keep it 100% whole-foods, but once in a while we'll replace it with a store-bought non-dairy cheese (good for first-time vegan pizza eaters).

Pizza

Crust ingredients:

  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour for a gluten-free option)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
  • 3/4 cup water

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Add water and combine thoroughly.
  4. Use hands to form a dough ball.
  5. Sprinkle flour on a greased cookie sheet or pie plate and roll out dough to 1/4" thick.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes.

Topping ingredients:

  • 1 batch nut-cheese sauce (below)*
  • 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
  • 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
  • 10-12 oz extra firm tofu (grated)
  • 4 oz tomato paste

  1. Spread tomato paste evenly on pre-baked crust.
  2. Top with onions and mushrooms, then tofu.
  3. Drizzle on nut-cheese sauce and spread evenly.
  4. Lower oven to 350 degrees F.
  5. Bake for 25-35 minutes until onions are done.

* You can replace the nut-cheese sauce with 1-2 cups of shredded non-dairy cheese (i.e. Daiya, Follow Your Heart, etc.)

Nut-cheese Sauce ingredients:

  • 1 cup cashews (or other nuts)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until sauce is smooth. Add more water if needed.

Yields: About 6 servings