At some point in time, possibly since forever, the commonly spoken
version numbering (1.0 vs 2.0) and the version numbering used for
autoconf, rpm, deb and ld (3.0 and 4.0) have diverged. It seems the
current autoconf code actually contains both LIBDRIZZLE_VERSION and
LIBDRIZZLE_LIBRARY_VERSION for this reason.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drizzle-trunk/drizzle/7.2/view/head:/m4/libdrizzle_version.m4

If you're starting from a clean slate, I'd propose you take a jump and
call everything 5.0.

henrik

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Andrew Hutchings
<and...@linuxjedi.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Anyone who has been watching Launchpad has probably noticed I've been
> working on a new branch called libdrizzle-redux in
> https://launchpad.net/libdrizzle
>
> This has been born out of the need to have a simplified libdrizzle API.  No
> more mixing up who allocated what.  It is also client only, the server-side
> components are stripped out.
>
> I have re-engaged the bug tracker on the libdrizzle project and started
> adding things in there related to redux.  I'm hoping to have the first
> version of it out in the next few weeks.  It will be version 3.0 so as not
> to confuse with libdrizzle 1.0 and 2.0.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> 1. in the libdrizzle project set the main libdrizzle 1.0 branch to
> Abandoned.
>
> 2. make the libdrizzle-redux branch the primary branch
>
> 3. any libdrizzle 1.0 development happens in the main drizzle tree
>
> The main reasons for this are:
>
> 1. libdrizzle-redux branch is actively developed libdrizzle branch is not
>
> 2. libdrizzle branch contains all the commits of drizzle in its history
>
> 3. libdrizzle branch is broken, if you can get it to compile it doesn't work
> with MySQL 5.5 onwards.
>
> 4. libdrizzle in drizzle's trunk has more features (such as SSL) than
> libdrizzle's branch
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on this.
>
> Kind Regards
> --
> Andrew Hutchings - LinuxJedi - http://www.linuxjedi.co.uk/

henrik.i...@avoinelama.fi
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559