It looks like to store author affiliations, you can use dc:contributor
http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-citation-guidelines/

Then to make that browseable/searchable, it gets added to the index
(configurable). And to have the affiliation (dc.contributor) show up in the
item view page, you have a theme which overrides the default fields
displayed.

Also, can you tell more about what the affiliation tree is, perhaps I'm
misunderstanding what you're asking.
I was thinking affiliation would be where you have an author "Albert
Einstein" and is affiliated with two universities, i.e.
dc:author = Albert Einstein
dc:contributor = University of Zurich
dc:contributor = University of Berne

Peter Dietz