I would look in the database table "item". It has a field called
"item"."in_archive". Typically when an item gets deleted it sets
item.in_archive to FALSE

So from the DB, you could look for all of the "deleted" items. So use your
favorite SQL query tool (perhaps pgAdmin3 if your DB is postgres)
SELECT * FROM item where item.in_archive = false;

Or get all the metadata for the deleted items.
SELECT
  item.item_id,
  item.in_archive,
  metadatafieldregistry.element,
  metadatafieldregistry.qualifier,
  metadatavalue.text_value,
  item.last_modified
FROM
  public.item,
  public.metadatavalue,
  public.metadatafieldregistry
WHERE
  item.item_id = metadatavalue.item_id AND
  metadatavalue.metadata_field_id = metadatafieldregistry.metadata_field_id
AND
  item.in_archive = FALSE
ORDER BY last_modified DESC;

However, I think deletions to communities and collections make them go away,
the items may remain behind as an artifact.

Peter Dietz
Systems Developer/Engineer
Ohio State University Libraries