On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 04:48:52PM -0500, Tim Donohue wrote:
[snip]
> On 5/5/2011 3:43 PM, Mark Diggory wrote:
[Quoting Tim Donohue, IIRC]
> >> To be honest, I worry that jumping directly into technology
> >> implementation ideas (git/github, etc.) only muddles things a bit.
> >> I don't mean any offense with this suggestion, I'm just noting that
> >> I don't think we're even all on the "same page" yet -- which is
> >> where we need to be before we can make decisions on *how* we want
> >> to move forward.
> >
> > I don't really have any questions about this, its relatively clear
> > that gatekeeping cripples participation and we should try to avoid it
> > as to not raise the bar to participation too high.
>
> I'm all for changing some of the 'gatekeeping' to make it easier for
> participation. But, we do have to realize one of the main purposes of
> "gatekeeping" is to ensure that each DSpace release is well vetted,
> tested and approved by a "trusted" group. This is what our community of
> 1000+ institutions expects from the Committers Group -- we are here to
> ensure we are providing a consistently stable, well vetted & useful product.
>
> We can definitely change where the "gatekeeping" occurs, but I think
> there will always need to be some gates in place in order to properly
> 'vet' the "trustworthy" modules from the "not-so-trustworthy" ones (or
> the ones that may be highly unstable).  We also need to ensure the final
> "packaged" DSpace product is vetted & well tested itself, so there are
> additional "gates" that still need to be in place to ensure unstable or
> unapproved code isn't in that "packaged" release.

Agree.  We want more code that is rugged, reliable, well-behaved, and
of a piece with the rest of the product.  "Many eyes make all bugs
shallow."

Don't think of it as "gatekeeping", but as "editing".  An editor's job
is to get the best stuff that belongs in his publication and to help
writers understand what "belongs in this publication" means.  A few
contributions just don't belong; many can be improved by suggestions
from one whose focus is the publication as a whole.  Good editors
don't just reject stuff; they work with promising contributors to make
something better than either one of them could have done alone.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.