Hi Graham,

On 5/10/2011 11:17 AM, Graham Triggs wrote:
> On 10 May 2011 13:38, Robin Taylor <robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk
> <mailto:robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     In the UK at least most sites do not have a
>     dedicated repo developer. I also suspect most sites take the code from
>     the downloadable zip and never go near SVN. There is already a Jira
>     issue from the DCAT group asking for an install process that doesn't
>     require the installer to get involved with Maven and Ant.
>

> I'll repeat what I've said before, and say that we need to be careful
> about what our cases and reasoning are.
>
> I'm quite happy to see installations made simple, but this is an
> institutional repository, not a word processor. You can't simply do away
> with all technical knowledge for maintaining the service and expect it
> to provide the preservation that it's meant to [at least not without
> bundling in connections to commercial services that could be 'activated'
> in the front end - but that would be a can of worms].
>
> imho, I think we need a bit more input from non-programming system
> administrators as to what the right balance is to achieve here.

Quick counter-point:  Although I agree we cannot do away with all
'technical knowledge' for maintaining a repository platform, we also
should not put up "technology walls" that inhibit people from making
their own localized decisions.

Preservation is a local decision. DSpace in itself is just a tool that
can help enable preservation, but it doesn't "do" the preservation
automatically for you. It is also possible to use DSpace without
utilizing any preservation features whatsoever.

It's also completely reasonable that a System Admin may be a programmer
and yet *not know* Java or Maven or Ant. IMHO, DSpace should allow for
flexibility in its install process and not require specific technology
knowledge out of a system administrator (though obviously if that same
administrator wanted to customize DSpace they would still need to learn
Java / Maven / etc as necessary).  DSpace should also give institutions
the flexibility to decide whether or not they actually want
'preservation' or if they just want to use DSpace as a tool to enable
broader "access" to a collection of digital content. (I'd be the first
to recommend thinking about longer-term Preservation of content -- but
it's not a requirement for using DSpace)

- Tim