As I thought about this a bit more, I did somewhat have a change of heart,
and kind of think we ought to "properly" redo it.

Imagine when DSpace migrates to xyz-version-control in a decade. We'll all
be emeritus, and wondering where our place in history is.  And the future
people migrating the code will be like, hey, home come there's two
different mappings for authors.

Another possible question, is people who have svn commits, but will not be
creating github accounts, those commits need to be swallowed by a user. So
either ping everyone else to be like, hey, can you create an account,
otherwise we dump all their commit attribution onto another user. I'm not
sure what happens if you have a partial author mapping.

And to address the, hey, your broke my fork of you. We could leave
DSpace/DSpace renamed to DSpace/DSpace-pre-official until everyone un-forks
it, and then we just spend the half-day fixing forks.

So, consider me talked-in-and-out of shall we.

Peter Dietz