Hi Andrea,

I don't think this workflow would currently work for us. The reason is
that we're letting bugs sit for too long before we get to them. I bet
you can still find bugs filed against DSpace 1.5 that were never
fixed. Even patches tend to sit for a long time before we review them.
As I see it, it would happen quite often that a PR would be filed
today against the 1_8_x branch. When we finally resolve it in 2 years
(unfortunately, this is really not uncommon for us), that branch will
be long unsupported and the oldest supported branch in that time will
be 4_x. That will require one more task. So much for the
disadvantages.

As for advantages, I don't really see any. There's not really a
difference in porting effort in one direction or the other (e.g. 3->4
vs. 4->3). As a developer, you're probably already working on a branch
close to master, so it's easier for you to just fix things in the
current DSpace version than check out an older one, fix it there and
build it; no advantage there, either.

Moreover, we declared the last 3 releases supported for security bug
fixes. We didn't say anything about bug fix support. After a new major
version is released, it's very rare for us to release a minor version
of the previous release.

There's a lot we would have to improve in our processes (time to fix
bugs, actual support for previous releases) before we could consider
this change in Git workflow.

Regards,
~~helix84