Il 23/01/2014 15.10, helix84 ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Andrea Bollini <a.boll...@cineca.it> wrote:
>> According to this workflow it looks better manage bugs as PR against 4.x
>> than as PR against the master. In this way if we miss to merge something to
>> the master we can do it later also in one go for multiple patches/bug fixes.
> We currently do the opposite - as soon as we decide a minor release is
> coming out, we scour master for bugfixes and backport them.
This is a manual, error prone, boring, activity...

>   The two
> approaches are really interchangable and equally difficult, so as long
> as we stick to either one of them, we should be fine.
No really. Assuming that we are doing the thing well (all the patches go
in 4.x) we can release a 4.1 at any time without any activity and at the
time of feature freeze we just need to run
git merge dspace-4.x
from the current master to assure that all the bugs go in the next 4.1.

>> The opposite direction is not so easy as it requires cherry pick and is
>> "untracked" by git, so we need to assure by ourself that we don't miss bug
>> fix.
> I'm not sure what you mean by untracked by git. Do you mean regular
> merges of the release branch to the master branch after each fix is
> commited to the release branch? You're right in that this is not
> possible to do in the other direction because on master, there are
> non-bugfix changes intermingled with bugfixes. But a merge is
> something you have to do from the command line (i.e. GitHub doesn't
> make it easier;
we can also think about make post-hock on git so to trigger an automatic
merge over the master when a commit is done in the maintenance branch.
This sound probably adventurous but it is usually in enterprise workflow
where there is a QA phase and CI (moreover we have both... testhaton and
Travis/Bamboo).

Andrea

>   well, unless you want to fire additional PRs for the
> same thing, which we recently agreed is not a good thing because it
> fragments the discussion to many places), just like cherry-pick. What
> advantages do you see to a merge as opposed to a cherry-pick? Or did
> you mean something else?
>
>> Also the famous  GitFlow branching model
>> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>> suggest to work on the maintenance branch and after merge that in the
>> develop branch (in our case the master).
> Like I said above, the important thing is to standardize on one way.
> This happens to describe the other way that the one we use, but I
> really see no advantages to it.
>

> Oh, and I forgot to mention one advantage to our current model I see.
> It assures that if we forget to port the bugfix, it will be in all
> subsequent releases, it will only miss from an old release. In the
> reverse scenario, if we forget, it's fixed in the old version and not
> in the future versions. I admit this doesn't happen to us very often,
> but it's possible.
>
> The second important advantage is in case of conflict (i.e. for
> complex fixes that touch code with unrelated changes between the two
> branches). If we fix on master and have a problem with conflicts that
> are hard to resolve, we can just decide to give up on the fix for old
> release. If we start from the old one, we *have to* push through to
> fix the the newer branch.
>

> Regards,
> ~~helix84
>
> Compulsory reading: DSpace Mailing List Etiquette

Andrea Bollini
Dipartimento Servizi e Soluzioni per l'Amministrazione Universitaria
Divisione Ricerca

Via dei Tizii, 6
00185 Roma, Italy
tel. +39 06 44 486 087 - mob. +39 348 82 77 525
http://www.cineca.it