I second many of helix’s points

Storing Stats data in an external product relies on that product to be around -
something that google does not guarantee

Whether to use google analytics for anything other than getting nice stats
right now very much depends on whether google provides a data export option.
Does it ? I don’t know.

DSPACE is already a rather big system. The more you keep features separated the
better. So having minimal stats support in the core seems to me the most
flexible and viable option. Identify core events and log them  somehow - maybe
as a side effect of sending stats to solr.  My gut tells me: logging to the
file system in some format that is easily digested is the way to go. This
approach requires no configuration, there is no other application that has to
be up and running for event logs to reach their destination.  Right now DSPACE
traces stuff in dspace.log - but as far as I can tell - log messages are not
normalized and not so easy to digest.

Monika

Monika Mevenkamp
phone: 609-258-4161
Lewis Library,Washington Road and Ivy Lane, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
08544