Hi Christian (and all),

The date of the final 6.0 release is still being finalized. We hope to have a Release Candidate #2 (6.0-RC2) ready in time for the Open Repositories conference (which is next week).

My anticipation is that 6.0 final should be available by late June or early July.

This release has involved a massive rewrite of much of our backend Java API (and configuration system). After 14 years, as one may imagine, our Java API was becoming a hindrance to achieving other goals on our RoadMap [1]. So, in 6.0, thanks to efforts led by Kevin Van de Velde and @mire (his employer), and involving much of the active Committer team, we will be introducing a newly refactored, easier to maintain, more flexible Java API [2].

Unfortunately though, as one might expect with large scale API changes, bugs crop up. From the efforts of all our 6.0 Testathon participants, we discovered a larger than normal number of bugs. We have been rapidly fixing those bugs and stabilizing the platform to ensure 6.0 is production ready. While we are getting close, there are still a few issues holding us back from a final, production ready 6.0 release. But, we are striving to release a new 6.0-RC2 as soon as possible, to encourage further community testing and feedback.

Thanks,

Tim

[1] RoadMap: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RoadMap
[2] API refactor (code named "Service based API"): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Service+based+api