Hi everyone,

I've got an instance of Dspace that is failing to start, and I'm hoping
someone might have some suggestions for me to try. I'm somewhat new to
Dspace, so I apologize if I'm overlooking something simple!

After starting Tomcat, the following line appears in tomcat7-stderr:

> Failure during filter init: Key for add operation must be
> defined!:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Key for add operation must be
> defined!

Also, this line is showing up in tomcat7-stdout:

> ERROR [org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] Context
>> initialization failed

>> bean with name 'dspace.eventService' defined in ServletContext resource
>> [/WEB-INF/spring/applicationContext.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed;
>> nested exception is
>> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Factory
>> method [public org.dspace.services.EventService
>> org.dspace.utils.DSpace.getEventService()] threw exception; nested
>> exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: DSpace kernel cannot be null
>
> at
>> org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:603)
>>
>> [...]
Those are just snippets, and I can certainly provide the full error if that
is helpful, but those two sections seemed the most suspicious. We don't
have any customizations in the applicationContext.xml file mentioned in the
error. I did edit dspace.cfg prior to this problem, but it was only a
single line change. I reverted it back after the problem occurred, but the
errors are still occurring. Nothing is appearing in the Dspace log.

Users trying to access Dspace get a 404 error after Tomcat starts. Here are
the details for the server:
OS: Windows Server 2008
Dspace version: 6.0
Tomcat version: 7.0
Java version: 1.8.0_101

We had some problems with solr a couple of weeks ago, and I can provide
more info on that if it might be relevant. I can't think of any other
details to share, but if any other information would be helpful, please let
me know!

Thank you in advance!
Bryson