Hi Uttam,

This error sounds like it is related to the configuration of DSpace 6.x,
since it seems to come from the new Apache Commons Configuration settings.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Configuration+Reference#ConfigurationReference-ConfigurationFileSyntax

Have you checked that your configuration files for any preceding or
trailing spaces (as described earlier in this thread)?  Did you upgrade
from DSpace 5 and perhaps forget to update the configuration of DSpace (the
configuration system changed between DSpace 5 and 6, see:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Upgrading+DSpace#UpgradingDSpace-ReleaseNotes/SignificantChanges

You could also either diffing your configs against the out-of-the-box
configurations to see if that shows any obvious misconfigurations.  Or you
could temporarily revert to the out-of-the-box configurations to see if
that resolves the issue, and then slowly update it to your existing
configuration.

Essentially, this sounds like a configuration issue in one of your *.cfg
files. Unfortunately the Apache Commons Configuration system doesn't seem
to return a very useful error message here, so I cannot say for certain
which file or configuration is the problem.

Good luck, and please let us know on this mailing list if you discover the
issue.  We haven't been able to reproduce this problem yet, so if you find
a way to do so, we can add it to our documentation, etc.

- Tim

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:11 AM uttam dhakal <udedha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have got the exact same problem, did you find the solution to your
> problem?
>
> Thank you
>
> On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:02:42 PM UTC+1, m.ne...@icm.edu.pl
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, but that is probably not mine case.  I have just removed all
>> spaces unnecessary spaces in both dspace.cfg and local.cfg and DSpace still
>> does not start.  Event
>>
>> ant update
>>
>> command would stop at test_database phase:
>>
>> test_database:
>>      [java] Failure during kernel init: Key for add operation must be
>> defined!
>>      [java] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Key for add operation
>> must be defined!
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.tree.DefaultExpressionEngine.prepareAdd(DefaultExpressionEngine.java:420)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalConfiguration.addPropertyDirect(HierarchicalConfiguration.java:383)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.addPropertyValues(AbstractConfiguration.java:423)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.append(AbstractConfiguration.java:1271)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationUtils.convertToHierarchical(ConfigurationUtils.java:252)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.CombinedConfiguration$ConfigData.getTransformedRoot(CombinedConfiguration.java:943)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.CombinedConfiguration.constructCombinedNode(CombinedConfiguration.java:793)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.CombinedConfiguration.getRootNode(CombinedConfiguration.java:626)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalConfiguration.fetchNodeList(HierarchicalConfiguration.java:958)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.CombinedConfiguration.fetchNodeList(CombinedConfiguration.java:739)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalConfiguration.getProperty(HierarchicalConfiguration.java:344)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.dspace.servicemanager.config.DSpaceConfigurationService.setProperty(DSpaceConfigurationService.java:354)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.dspace.servicemanager.config.DSpaceConfigurationService.setDynamicProperties(DSpaceConfigurationService.java:539)
>>      [java]     at
>> org.dspace.servicemanager.config.DSpaceConfigurationService.loadInitialConfig(DSpaceConfigurationService.java:504)
>>      [java]     at
> [...]

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect
DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org