Hi Paul,

Yes, it should "just work".  As Claudia also noted, it'd be useful to know
what version of DSpace you are running (as I vaguely recall a few versions
had bugs in the IP auth at times).

Regarding the user's group, if you are expecting the user to appear as a
member of the Group in the Admin UI (via the Group Edit tools), that
actually will not happen. When using IP Auth, the user is only a temporary
Group member based on their current session (i.e. they are only a member
within their specific session and after their session ends, the user is no
longer a member of that group)

So, as Claudia notes/implies, the ways to tell this is working are:
* Check if the permissions given to the group are applied when you access
the site from the given IP address (sounds like you tried this though)
* Or, actually login/authenticate (from the IP address) and check the
user's profile (My DSpace) page to see if the Group is listed there. This
is only visible for logged in users though, and won't be visible to
anonymous users.

- Tim