OK, update:

I went to install the pre-requisites for Mirage2, as instructed in the
documentation
<https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tree/dspace-6_x/dspace-xmlui-mirage2>.
Everything completed without errors.
I created the package.json file in the path you mentioned.
Then I ran the command you gave me: mvn -U clean package -Dmirage2.on=true
-Dmirage2.deps.included=false.

It worked for a while, then failed with this:

npm WARN Mirage2@0.1.2 No description
npm WARN Mirage2@0.1.2 No repository field.
npm WARN Mirage2@0.1.2 No license field.
npm ERR! Linux 4.15.0-32-generic
npm ERR! argv "/home/sorin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.5.0/bin/node"
"/home/sorin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.5.0/bin/npm" "install"
npm ERR! node v6.5.0
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! Mirage2@0.1.2 postinstall: `bower install`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the Mirage2@0.1.2 postinstall script 'bower install'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the Mirage2 package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     bower install
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project
with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs Mirage2
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls Mirage2
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

I ran npm -version and the result was 3.10.3. Then I ran node --version and
the result was (as expected) v6.5.0.
So there's a problem with my Mirage2 package? Can it be that the whole
tar.gz package I'm using is faulty? Should I go for the .zip package?

TIA.

Sorin