This problem was caused by the Sword configuration on the DSpace server.
Or, more precisely, the complete lack of configuration of the Sword
module.  We moved the server from another host last summer, and that must
be when the config got overwritten with the defaults.  Apparently, no one
had tried to publish from Vireo until last week!  Once the Sword module was
correctly configured, Vireo was able to connect.