If your apache SSL configuration is correct you can force the NodeJS and
the starting of the service later to access crdb.dut.ac.za directly using
the server local IP instead of going thru the Public-IP/F5. You can do it
by adding an entry into /etc/hosts for the server private IP address. The
other way of overcoming this issue is by skipping the /etc/hosts file entry
and doing the steps you see below:

A) echo "export NODE_EXTRA_CA_CERTS=/etc/certs/crdb.dut.ac.za/cert.pem" >>
/etc/environment
B) source /etc/environment
C) yarn test:rest

Good luck
On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 12:24:41 PM UTC+3 sean....@gmail.com wrote:

> Ah, but wait, I remembered the chain of events that led to me installing
> the cert, whose chain is broken:
>
> The F5 firewall seems to provide certification through its wildcard
> certificate. So if you visit our current DSpace-CRIS 5 repository at
> https://openscholar.dut.ac.za/  and check the connection security for
> that site, you will see that it is verified by Sectigo Ltd. However, on
> that server, I'm using a self-signed certificate. (It used to be
> LetsEncrypt before the F5.)
>
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl.conf
>                 SSLCertificateFile
>  /etc/ssl/certs/apache-selfsigned.crt
>                 SSLCertificateKeyFile
> /etc/ssl/private/apache-selfsigned.key
>
> That didn't work for DSpace 7 (I forget the exact error, but I suspect it
> was the verification error). So I requested the certificate from the IT
> admin, and installed that.
>
> But it seems as though that doesn't even get seen by openssl s_client ...
>
> For comparison, if I run
> openssl s_client -connect openscholar.dut.ac.za:443
>
> I get a similar error: Verification error: unable to verify the first
> certificate.
>
> I'm really out of my depth here and not sure who or where to seek help.
> All I know is that I can get this working unless it's behind the F5. But
> then, in that case, I'm using LetsEncrypt.
>
> Sean
>
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 16:11, Sean Carte <sean....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Michael. That's useful. I'll follow up with our IT department.
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 10:23, Plate, Michael <
>> pl...@bibliothek.uni-kassel.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sean,
>>>
>>> your certificate chain is broken:
>>>
>>> openssl s_client -connect crdb.dut.ac.za:443
>>>
>>> CONNECTED(00000003)
>>> depth=0 C = ZA, postalCode = 4001, ST = KwaZulu-Natal, L = Durban,