Sue,

You shouldn't have to upgrade to JDK 1.5.  DSpace 1.3.2 should work on
1.4.x or above.

First, I should admit, I've never used IPlanet.  So, I cannot speak from
experience regarding it (so, if there's anyone else out there who can,
speak up! :)

Strangely, the error message you posted looks to be referring more to
IPlanet (though I could be reading it wrong, since I don't have IPlanet
experience).  It almost looks like IPlanet is having trouble loading a
"default configuration"
(org.Apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.defaultConfig) from some XML
config file, and cannot find the correct Xerces implementation to do so.

But, then again, if this is only happening for the "dspace-oai.war" then
that may not be the case.

In any case, when it comes down to it, this sounds like some sort of
Java classpath issue.

A few things you might want to look into:

1) For your DSpace 1.3.2 installation, make sure all the various JARs
that come with DSpace look to be in the [dspace]/lib directory.  In
particular, look at the ones having to do with XML:

- xalan.jar
- xercesImpl.jar
- xml-apis.jar (perhaps most important, since that's where the java
interface "org.xml.sax.ext.Attributes2" resides).

Also, double check you don't have duplicates (e.g. two starting with
"xerces", etc.).  (You could also unzip the "dspace-oai.war" to make
sure it also has each of those jar files in the "WEB-INF/lib" directory)

2) You might also want to look at the java classpath that IPlanet uses,
to see if it's somehow accessing the "wrong" xerces or JAXP jar files.
I'm unfortunately not going to be any help here, since I have never used
IPlanet.

Hopefully that's still of a little help.  Anyone else out there more
familiar with IPlanet?

-Tim