Brian,

The lines of direct importance that I can see from the last 100 is:

"java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.dspace.core.Utils.addEntities(Utils.java:261)"

This looks to be errorring out on this line in the "addEntities()"
method of Utils.java:
"value = value.replaceAll("&", "&");"

In particular, it's saying that something calling that method passed in
a null value as the "value" parameter.  This is something that has since
been fixed in DSpace 1.4.1 with the addition of these lines (just before
the one above):

if (value==null || value.length() == 0)
         return value;

So, it's *possible* that you can add that code into addEntities() and it
may resolve the issue (or, even better upgrade to DSpace 1.4 and then
1.4.1, to have all the latest bug fixes).  But, it's also *possible*
there's something more going on.  It's hard to tell, since the last 100
lines of catalina.out didn't include the initial Java error (it started
with an "at" statement, which was just detailing the location of an
error in the "stack"). So I'm not sure if the "NullPointerException" was
the result of something larger or not.

Hopefully that helps.

- Tim