Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:16:31 -0500
From: "Mark H. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Dspace-tech] Audio and video bitstreams
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net

We continue to get requests for support of audio and video.  For
longer audio documents, and video of almost any length, the average
user isn't going to want to sit watching the thing download and his
storage fill up; he's going to expect streaming access that starts
almost immediately.  This suggests that DSpace needs a way to specify
a "nonlocal" bitstream which is just a URL for such a service.

Yeah, we can dream up a metadata field and have it formatted as a
link.  We're going to do that to start out with.  But that's going to
be confusing to the end user, who will expect links to the content he
found to be all in the same place, and *especially* that the form he
most likely prefers will not be off in some unusual location on the
page.  It would be much nicer if we could e.g. submit an item with two
bitstreams: a nonlocal one pointing to a streaming service for casual
use, and a local one through which the user can download and keep a
copy of the actual document.

Comments?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he