On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:35:23PM -0500, John Mark Ockerbloom wrote:
[snip]
> The W3C-recommended SMIL format appears to support this (.smil or .smi
> extension, media type application/smil+xml or application/smil).

Thank you!  This works well.  I can see that I need to learn a lot
more about SMIL.

It also seems to at least begin to address another issue that comes up
from time to time: people who want to archive interactive multimedia
presentations.  They have the same sort of problem (do you archive a
DVD-sized lump and make users download it before they can view it?)
with the added complexity of navigating the internal structure of the
presentation.  But a presentation that is written in, or converted to,
SMIL should trigger the user's SMIL-enabled player (assuming that he
has one) and Just Work.  (Of course that opens another can of worms:
a litter of bitstreams for every image, sound, video, and text in the
presentation, plus getting meaningful statistics for the item when one
viewing could result in a hundred fetches of its various bitstreams.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he