Sorry for the length of this message, but I'm stumped.

Last Wednesday (6/13) I tried to follow the directions posted at
http://dspace.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/dspace/dspace/docs/update.h
tml?revision=1.10&pathrev=MAIN to upgrade our test system located at
http://cassandra.usc.edu:8180/dspace.  We are an Oracle site and (if it
makes any difference), Oracle is on a different server (ver. 9.2.0.4.0).
Upon reaching step eight on the instructions, as the dspace user, I went
to SQL> @database_schema_13-14.sql<ENTER> as per instructions and then
completed the remaining steps.
        The application sort of worked.  As administrator, I could login
and browse communities and select users.  I could not however, login as
a user, nor could I get an email sent from the "forgot password" page.
At no time could I actually access any of the test content I know to
have been uploaded.  I turned on DEBUG in the log4j.properties.  From
those errors, and a specific portion of the logs, Graham Triggs
suggested a couple of test/fixes which worked to enable successful
completion of the "forgot password" email (which emailed a link to
change password but when changed, I could not login with that password).
        I restored the database to the state it had been in prior to
applying Graham's suggestions.  I read and reread the installation
instructions and the upgrade instructions from beginning to end and
noted that in going from 1.1 to 1.2, running @database_schema_11-12.sql
and when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3 running database_schema-12-13.sql
were necessary, and so concluded that in going from 1.3.2 to 1.4.2,
after running database_schema_13-14.sql, I also needed to run
database_schems_14-1.4.2.sql (I hope I'm correct) which I did.
        I cannot access any of the test content.  I cannot create a user
or after apparently successfully changing a password, login as any user
other than administrator.  I cannot submit content.  In short, something
is seriously wrong and I am not sure where to begin to remedy that.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
        Below are the screen capture created when issuing the
database_schema_13-14.sql statement, followed by the screen capture of
issuing the screen capture of the database_schema_14-142.sql statement.

SQL> @database_schema_13-14.sql

Sequence created.
Sequence created.
CREATE SEQUENCE tasklistitem_seq
                *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object
Table created.
Table created.
Sequence created.
Sequence created.
Sequence created.
Table created.
Table created.
Table created.
1 row created.
66 rows created.
  SELECT item_id, dc_type_id, text_value, text_lang, place FROM dcvalue
                  *
ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00904: "DC_TYPE_ID": invalid identifier

DROP TABLE dcvalue
           *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

CREATE VIEW dcvalue AS
            *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

SELECT setval('metadatafieldregistry_seq', max(metadata_field_id)) FROM
metadatafieldregistry
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: "SETVAL": invalid identifier

SELECT setval('metadatavalue_seq', max(metadata_value_id)) FROM
metadatavalue
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: "SETVAL": invalid identifier

SELECT setval('metadataschemaregistry_seq', max(metadata_schema_id))
FROM metadataschemaregistry
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: "SETVAL": invalid identifier

Table dropped.
Index created.
Index created.
Index created.
    result_code VARCHAR PRIMARY KEY,
                        *
ERROR at line 3:
ORA-00906: missing left parenthesis
    result VARCHAR(64) REFERENCES checksum_results(result_code)
                                  *
ERROR at line 11:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
Sequence created.

    result VARCHAR(64) REFERENCES checksum_results(result_code)
                                  *
ERROR at line 9:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
insert into checksum_results
            *
[...]

    date_trunc('milliseconds', now()),
    *
ERROR at line 18:
ORA-00904: "DATE_TRUNC": invalid identifier

update most_recent_checksum
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

      most_recent_checksum.expected_checksum
                                           *
ERROR at line 13:
ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

update checksum_history
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

ALTER TABLE community DROP CONSTRAINT community_name_key
                                      *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02443: Cannot drop constraint  - nonexistent constraint

Sequence created.

Table created.
Index created.

CREATE VIEW CollectionItemsBySubject as
            *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

CREATE VIEW CommunityItemsBySubject as
            *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

CREATE TABLE TasklistItem
             *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

SQL> @database_schema_14-142.sql

Table created.

0 rows created.

View dropped.

Table dropped.

Table altered.

View created.

Index created.

Index created.

Table created.

18 rows created.

Table dropped.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table created.

25 rows created.

Table dropped.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Brian A. Helstien, SISD, MLS,
Director, Special Technologies Initiatives,
IDM, University Libraries
x06913
University of Southern California,                   (213) 740-6913
Los Angeles, California, 90089                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Information is independent of media or format