Jim,

Just for clarification to the group... Its unclear what your
requesting a vote on: Anyone can assign an external identifier to a
Bitstream in an external identification system. Can you answer the
two following questions for the group?

1.) Are you suggesting that we will support an infrastructure in
DSpace to assign those via an external identifier service (currently
the Handle System in 1.5, ExternalIdentifierManager in 1.6)?

2.) Are you suggesting that Internal Identifiers (currently sequence
id's) will be structured differently in 1.6 such that one can assign
one to a bitstream independent of the parent items identifier?

Feeding the fire,
Mark

On Jul 19, 2007, at 5:51 AM, James Rutherford wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As part of my work on the identification mechanisms employed by DSpace
> (both internal and externally managed identifiers) I've decided that
> it's better to assign external identifiers to files than to not (which
> is the current policy). Whether or not external identifiers are used
> (and if so, which ones) will be configurable, but what I would like to
> know is whether anyone has a problem with assigning external
> identifiers
> to files at all.
>
> If possible, could we keep this to a +/- 1 system (+1 to assign
> them to
> files, -1 to not). I definitely don't want to turn this into a
> discussion about identification systems more generally otherwise we'll
> be here until next year. Also, if you vote -1 a short explanation
> about
> why would be useful.
>
> cheers,
>
> Jim
>
> --
> James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered
> Office:
> Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,
> HP Labs                   |  Bracknell,
> Bristol, UK               |  Berks
> +44 117 312 7066          |  RG12 1HN.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  Registered No: 690597 England
>
> The contents of this message and any attachments to it are
> confidential and
> may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in
> error, you
> should delete it from your system immediately and advise the
> sender. To any
> recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you
> should
> consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office: E25-131
Phone: (617) 253-1096