On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 10:06 -0600, Zhiwu Xie wrote:
> Then what will happen if I remove one file from an item and add
> another file? Will the new file get the old handle or a new one or I
> can choose?

How deletion of objects assigned external ids is not something that
DSpace should force on to a repository, although it would need to have
some kind of sensible default.

Although it isn't even the case that a repository can or should have a
single way of dealing with removal of an externally identified file -
the appropriate course of action would be influenced by the factors that
led to the removal / replacement.

Possibilities that should be supportable:

* reassigning the existing id (handle) to a new file
* provide a fallback mapping - for example, to the item
* reporting that the id is invalid

This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com