From: Jayan Chirayath Kurian
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 5:34 PM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Automatic scheduled backup for DSpace using open source backup
software

Automatic scheduled backup for DSpace using open source backup software

Steps:-

(1)   Create a folder named PostgresqlBkp

(2)   Copy postgresql - pg_dump.exe and all the library files in the
postgresql - bin directory to the PostgresqlBkp folder.

(3)   Save the backuppgsql.java program (can be posted) to the
PostgresqlBkp directory. This program will take the dump backup of
postgresql and save it indicating the backup date as the filename.

(4)   Download and install DeltaCopy software (quick and easy open
source software)

(5)   Create a folder named DSpaceBKP

(6)   Create profiles in DeltaCopy software pointing to the following
folders for backup into the DSpaceBKP folder.

a.       DSpace source folder

b.      Dspace installation folder

c.       PostgreSQL data directory

d.      PostgresqlBkp directory

(7)   Create a batch file for scheduling the backuppgsql.java program.

(8)   Create scheduled tasks for the DeltaCopy profiles (a,b,c,d)

The DSpaceBKP folder holds the entire DSpace backup data for
restoration. The DeltaCopy backup software is available at
http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp and the java program
can be send if any one wants to try this scheduled backup procedure. The
restoration works well with DSpace 1.4.1 on a Windows 2003 platform. I
have tried this after deleting the dspace default database and restoring
using pgAdmin utility. This procedure will avoid middling with the
command line interface and will make a live DSpace backup process
automatic. Please let me know if any one wants to try this at their end.
I can give further instructions if required.

Thanks

Jayan