As Wayne mentioned in another email check to see if the DSpace war files
deflated.

In /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/  you should see:
dspace.war
dspace-oai.war
dspace <a directory >
dspace-oai <a directory >

If you see those 4 files and directories and Tomcat is running you should
get a DSpace page at http://localhost:8080/dspace (either the normal home
page, or a dspace error page).

Kyle