Following up on this with a couple of points about RDF use in DSpace:

Beyond the descriptive metadata that we usually think about (as
replicated in the DWell browser) DSpace is already storing preservation
data in RDF for the History (provenance) system. I've looked at that
metadata with DWell and it lets me do things like plot DSpace events on
a timeline view... very useful.

I also worked on a project last year to develop an RDF ontology for
repository management policies, with the idea of having a distributed,
federated policy management layer over DSpace and with 3rd party service
providers (like persistent storage providers). Once again, viewing and
editing that metadata was made easier by relying on RDF tools like Longwell.

So RDF proved useful for these two cases because the metadata schemas
were not standardized and needed to be flexible and extensible... very
much like the situation we have with descriptive metadata. Only in
situations where the metadata schemas are standard and static has it
been better to go with a traditional database schema... otherwise you
end up changing the schema (and the code) way to often.

MacKenzie

--
MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology