Julio,

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this could be
accomplished if you really understand how that handle server works.
Essentially all it really needs to be able to do is query the
underlying database behind your DSpace installation and then
assemble/return the proper URL that points to the real handle in your
DSpace repository.

Having said that, it conveniently does this by default by the fact that
you run the handle server from within the DSpace home, and it therefore
knows how to configure itself (the database connection, the URL values,
etc.).  I would think you could get around that part one way or another
(i.e., does the handle server startup have a parameter for the dspace
configuration file, or can you replicate/mockup a DSpace home
containing an identical config file sans assetstore, etc?)

As long as that handle server is really running and listening on the
IP/port that you registered with CNRI, and as long as the running Java
process can connect to the same database, and as long it has some way
of accessing the DSpace configuration file, then I don't see why this
can't be done.  To my knowledge it doesn't need access to anything else
in that DSpace home besides the configuration; I don't think it needs
the real assetstore or the indexes.

I'm kind of curious as to why you are designing it this way, though.