Hi Mika, just a couple of thoughts...

The easy route - Don't use dc.identifier.citation. I assume this is a
hangover from early versions of Dspace. You would do better to add a new
fields dc.bibliographicCitation. Or better still,
dcterms.bibliographicCitation, if you are using a version of Dspace that
allows for more than one metadata schema. This would be in line with the DC
spec for citations http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-citation-guidelines/.
The advantage is that this leaves room for you to qualify the citation along
the lines of  dcterms.bibliographicCitation.humanreadable  and
dcterms.bibliographicCitation.machinereadable (see the spec for a more
complete explanation).

The difficult route - The problem is that a DC record is meant to describe a
single resource. To my mind a journal article is one resource and the
journal itself is another resource. A citation normally requires data from
both eg the title of the article and the title of the journal, so it doesn't
fit nicely into one record. The ideal solution would be to create two items,
one for the journal and one for the article, and extract data from both when
creating the citation. However that would require major changes to Dspace
and I guess you don't want to go there. A relatively tidy compromise, if you
are using a version of Dspace that allows for more that one metadata schema,
is to create a mini copy of the dublin core metadata set eg 'dccit' for any
metadata relating to the journal eg dccit.title. You would only need a small
metadata set (see example 1 in the spec) and it has the advantage of still
using DC, albeit disguised with a different namespace 'dccit'. An item would
then have 'dc' fields describing itself and 'dccit' fields describing the
related parent item. One day in the future when Dspace allows for
hierarchical relationships between items you will be able to take your dccit
fields and easily create a separate dc record (I am fantisising now !).

Cheers, Robin.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.