On Apr 28, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Valerio Minetti wrote:

2. Since i've been doing customizations in dspace/ no dspace- source/, how to
preserve theme through updates and rebuilds? I'll  move changes to
dspace.cfg and input-forms.xml to dspace-source/, but what to do about Custom theme - where in the source three do i put it? dspace/ target/ is
overwritten during maven build, right? do i put it into
dspace/modules/xmlui/target/xmlui1.5.0/themes/?

[dspace-source]\dspace-xmlui\dspace-xmlui-webapp\src\main\webapp \themes

No you place them in [dspace-source]/dspace/modules/xmlui/src/main/ webapp

You want to avoid changing the [dspace-source]/dspace-xxx projects outside the [dspace-source]/dspace directory

Maybe you should consider creating a local svn repository and
branching the original dspace source,
in this way you could update platform sources and bring on your custom
themes/aspect development.
(i'm not an svn expert, so feel free to add more details for this operation)

Yes, and we war talking about just the [dspace-source]/dspace "configuration and modules which you need to maintain in a svn repo, everything else can be left out and resolved as a dependency via Maven

3. What files do what in xmlui? There is very little documentation as far as
i can tell. How dri2xhtml/ and dri2xhtml.xsl included in the theme?

look at xml:include directives on top of your xsl theme file.
I suggest you to have a look at w3cschool tutorials about xsl, xslt,
xpath and xquery languages.
http://www.w3schools.com/

The nice thing is that if you go to xmlui and run mvn package once, all the theme resources that are in the original dspace-xmlui-web will then be found in xmlui/target/webapp. You can copy the parts you want upto xmlui/src/main/webapp for your own customizations.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology