Sue,

I'm not denying that there is an efficiency problem / bug in DSpace to
be bombing out on a minor Collection change just because of the number
of Items.

But 256 / 512Mb really is virtually nothing these days. I can easily
exceed that editing the DSpace source in an IDE. I'll regularly see my
web browser running higher than that after I've been using it for a few
hours.

Admittedly, I'm running 24(?) DSpace instances in my Tomcat server - but
it's on an 8Gb machine, running a 64-bit JVM, currently with a max heap
of 4Gb.

And these servers - with multi-cores and using commodity RAM - are
amongst the cheapest you can buy these days.

Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS] wrote:
> Very interesting.  I just changed our web server JVM options from:
>
>                                      -Xms128m –Xmx*256*m

>                                      -Xms128m -Xmx*512*m
>
> and it corrected the heap space error.  I’m worried though, because we
> are getting ready to load thousands more documents into DSpace and I’m
> wondering at what point we will start getting this error again.  I agree
> with François that it appears DSpace is cycling through every record in
> the Collection doing something (I’m not sure what since I was just
> updating the Collection description) and because there are 44,938
> records in this Collection and the Java heap space was filled up.
>
> Sue

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB
This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com