Well good news. I carried out an upgrade on our Ubuntu server and had to
reboot it due to a kernel update. When it came back up, I started the
import again and it's working.

Not sure what has happened here but I'm wondering if simply restarting
the postgres daemon is not enough and whether I need to restart it using
something more than;

sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql restart

Thanks again for the help.