Hi Andrew,

>> please excuse my ignorance about dspace, I am new here. What do people
>> think to the idea of identifying users by their IP address? This would
>> be an alternative to logging in via the traditional username+password.
>> This would be associated with an administrative function that registered
>> user groups with IP address ranges.

As Allen pointed out in a previous reply, for general single user
authentication (e.g. allowing a user to submit items in a particular
collection) it would not make a good choice.

However for more general authentication (e.g. allowing all users on your
university campus to read items in a protected collection) it would make a
good authentication method as it would mean that many users can get away
without the need for a DSpace account - they can be given access because
because of the machine they are using. This is a commonly used method by
publishers of electronic materials to grant access to subscribing
institutions.

DSpace has a stackable authentication system making it easy to add new
authentication methods and enable users to choose which method they log in
with. An IP authentication method has been distributed with DSpace since
version 1.5.

See: http://www.dspace.org/1_5_1Documentation/DSpace-Manual.pdf page 83.

However at present I believe there are a few issues with it, such as:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=119984&aid=2088431&group_i
d=19984

If you try it out, we'd love to hear your feedback about it in order that we
can improve it.

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860