On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 04:34:58PM +0200, Hlias Stavrakis wrote:
> After an idle period without requests from clients, the attempt to create a
> new connection to the database (postgreSQL) is extremely slow.
> I have increased the maximum number of connections to the database to 300
> (db.maxconnections = 300)   and the rest of the database configuration is:
>
> db.maxwait = 5000
>
> db.maxidle = 10
>
> db.statementpool = false
>
> The problem  is in DatabaseManager. When  the getConnection method is
> called, the method
>
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:" + poolName) does not
> return in normal time.

How much time is "extremely slow"?  Busy-process slow?  Busy-network
slow?  Misconfigured-DNS-lookup slow?

This action passes through several different contexts:  the DSpace
process, at least one kernel network stack (two or more if your DBMS
is on a different host), and the database monitor process.  The delay
could be anywhere along that path.

How full is memory on the indicated host(s)?  Is it likely that pages
on this code path are being displaced by other demands, given the longer
interval?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.