We have a test implementation of this. Its done by naming
communities/collections in three languages, separated with some
special character, say '|||' and language code. So the actual name of
the community could be ||| fi=Community name in Finnish ||| en =
Community name in English |||". Ofcourse you'll need to parse the
desired name to be displayed in your theme using locale variable
chosen by user. You might also need to tweak the length of the name
field in collection and community tables in database.

-Mika